Karen Chandler, Program Director
The Graduate Certificate Program in Arts Management serves professionals currently working in arts management or related fields who desire to expand their knowledge and skills, but may not be able to enter a full graduate program. The program offers courses currently available in the Master of Public Administration Program with an emphasis on preparing arts managers to meet the ever-changing challenges placed on nonprofit cultural institutions.
- A completed application form with a nonrefundable application fee of $50.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework. An earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- International applicants should refer to the International Students area within the “Admissions Information” section of the catalog for information on providing appropriate documentation with the application.
- Undergraduate grade point average of 3.000 or better.
- Writing sample demonstrating an ability to perform literary analysis and conduct research and/or a portfolio of arts management related work samples.
- Letter of intent stating the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program, areas of interest and career objectives.
* A separate degree-seeking application is required for admittance to a master’s degree program at the College of Charleston; Admission to the certificate program does not imply acceptance to a master’s program.
- Fall: March 1, Priority; July 1, Final
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: March 1
Certificate to Degree Option
Students who are interested in both the MPA degree and the Arts Management Certificate are encouraged to apply to both programs simultaneously by selecting the dual application designation on the graduate application. Students who enroll in the MPA Program and later decide to add the Arts Management Certificate must submit a separate application to the certificate program. Please contact the Arts Management Certificate program director if you are interested in this option.
Students who enroll in the certificate program and later decide to pursue the MPA degree may apply up to 12 certificate credit hours to the MPA program as electives. Students interested in this option must submit a separate application to the MPA program. Please contact the MPA program director if you are interested in this option.
MPA alumni interested in obtaining a certificate in Arts Management may apply up to 12 credit hours taken in the MPA program towards the certificate program with the approval of the Arts Management Certificate program director. MPA alumni interested in this option must submit an application to the Arts Management Certificate program.
Students earning the MPA degree and an Arts Management Certificate are expected to complete an internship relevant to arts management.
Transfer Credit Policy
No program specific guidelines. Please refer to the Graduate School’s transfer credit policy .
Student Learning Outcomes