Classics Teacher Education Program (Grades PK-12)
Students interested in teacher licensure in foreign language must complete both the Classics major and the Foreign Language Education, B.S. requirements. See the School of Education, Health and Human Performance section of this catalog for a listing of the required foreign language education major courses.
After declaration of a major in Classics, students interested in teacher licensure in foreign language must meet with the director of the Office of Student Services and Credentialing, School of Education, Health, and Human Performance, 843-953-5613. Students must take EDFS 201 during their sophomore year and apply for acceptance into this program preferably by the second semester of their sophomore year. In addition to meeting with an assigned advisor in Classics, candidates in all languages must meet with Dr. Shawn Morrison, 404 J.C. Long Building, firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information as soon as possible. Requirements include:
- admission to and successful completion of the approved Teacher Education Program (see Foreign Language Education, B.S. ). Your admission process must be completed before taking EDFS 460 .
- a passing score on the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching Test
- and the successful completion of the content major in Classics, with its specific GPA requirements (see below).
In order to be admitted to the Clinical Internship (EDFS 460 ), candidates must have met the following requirements:
- Completion of all Classics course requirements for the Classics major in Education.
- 2.500 GPA in Classics courses
- 3.000 GPA in EDFS courses
- 2.750 overall GPA
When declaring teacher licensure in Classics through the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Foreign Language Education” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the Classics major and follow the on-screen instructions.