Sep 24, 2018
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Credit Hours: 36+
Courses within this major may also satisfy general education requirements. Please consult the Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements for more information.
Political Science Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12)
Students interested in teacher licensure in social studies must complete the political science major, the additional coursework required for social studies certification and the Secondary Education Cognate major requirements. See the School of Education, Health and Human Performance section of this catalog for a listing of the requirements for the additional certification coursework and the secondary education cognate major. Students should apply for acceptance to this program no later than the second semester of their sophomore year. Requirements for this include admission to and successful completion of the approved teacher education program. Students must successfully complete all requirements for licensure in secondary education.
When declaring teacher licensure in social studies through the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Secondary Education Cognate” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the political science major and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You should apply for admission (this is NOT declaring your major) to the Teacher Education Program the semester you are enrolled in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3) . Requirements for admission:
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.750 and 60 earned credit hours.
- Passing scores on Praxis Core: Academic Skills for Educators designated by the South Carolina Department of Education OR qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Scores must be sent to the College of Charleston (Code R5113) and the SCDE (Code R8108).
- Disposition forms from (a) a general education faculty member, (b) your EDFS 201 professor, and (c) someone who has observed you working with children.
- If a student has transfer credit for a course that is equivalent to EDFS 201 , they must meet with the Teacher Education department chair and complete 1 hour of work.
- A grade of C or better in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3) .
- Your admission process must be completed before beginning the professional program.
- You must complete a major in the content area and the cognate major to be forwarded to the State Department of Education for certification.
- Minimum education GPA of 3.000.
At least 15 credit hours at the 300-level or above is required of this major.
Select a minimum of 3 credit hours in each of the three subfields of political science
American Politics and Process
Global Politics and Spaces
Select 12 additional credit hours to complete major
Choose from any of the above subfield courses or the following:
Secondary Education Cognate Major
*EDFS 201 is a prerequisite to all other education courses with a grade of C or better.
**Students must enroll in the Secondary sections for each of the courses marked with a double asterisk. This requires meeting with your education advisor and completing the registration form. Each course requires a school-based field experience. Students will need a 3-hour block of time per week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, to complete each school-based experience.
Select two MATH courses totaling at least 6 credit hours from the following:
Clinical Practice Internship Requirement
Students seeking recommendation for South Carolina certification in Secondary Education must complete the program of study above and meet the admission, retention, and exit requirements of the program and the School of Education, Health, and Human Performance. Recommendation to the South Carolina Department of Education for certification in South Carolina is contingent upon successful completion of Clinical Practice, and achievement of passing scores on the necessary Praxis II test(s) for recommendation. Students who do not take Clinical Practice may not earn a degree in Secondary Education and will not be recommended for certification. See your faculty advisor for additional information.
Additional Coursework beyond the Content major (Political Science, B.A.) for Social Studies Certification: