Oct 16, 2018
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Credit Hours: 30
In addition to completing the requirements for this major, students must also complete the degree requirements specified in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.
Courses within this major may also satisfy general education requirements. Please consult the Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements for more information.
History Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12)
Students interested in teacher licensure in social studies must complete the history major, the additional coursework required for social studies licensure and the Secondary Education Cognate, B.S. major requirements. See the School of Education, Health and Human Performance section of this catalog for a listing of the requirements for the additional certification coursework and the secondary education cognate major. Students should apply for acceptance to this program no later than the second semester of their sophomore year. Requirements for this include admission to and successful completion of the approved teacher education program. Students must successfully complete all requirements for licensure in secondary education.
When declaring teacher licensure in social studies through the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Secondary Education Cognate” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the history major and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You should apply for admission (this is NOT declaring your major) to the Teacher Education Program the semester you are enrolled in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education. Requirements for admission:
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.750 and 60 earned credit hours.
- Passing scores on Praxis Core: Academic Skills for Educators designated by the South Carolina Department of Education OR qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Scores must be sent to the College of Charleston (Code R5113) and the SCDE (Code R8108).
- Disposition forms from (a) a general education faculty member, (b) your EDFS 201 professor, and (c) someone who has observed you working with children.
- If a student has transfer credit for a course that is equivalent to EDFS 201, they must meet with the Teacher Education department chair and complete 1 hour of work.
- A grade of C or better in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3) .
- Your admission process must be completed before taking EDFS 460 .
- You must complete a major in the content area and the cognate major (see Secondary Education Cognate, B.S. ) to be forwarded to the State Department of Education for certification.
- Minimum History GPA of 2.500.
- Minimum education GPA of 3.000.
*All majors must take HIST 299 no later than concurrently with their third history class numbered 200 or higher.
Select one course from each of the following five areas of distribution:
2. Modern Europe Since 1500
3. Modern Asia, Africa and Latin America
4. United States
Select 9 additional credit hours of history electives:
3 credit hours in a capstone research seminar (normally taken in the senior year, which requires writing a substantial paper).
- All majors must have passed at least one 200-level course before taking a 300-level course.
- All majors must have passed at least one 300-level course before taking a 400-level course.
- All majors must have taken at least two related (one 200-level and one 300-level or two 300-level) courses before seeking permission to take a capstone research seminar, senior paper or bachelor’s essay.
Additional Coursework required beyond the Content major (History, B.A.) for Social Studies Certification: