English Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12)
Students interested in teacher licensure in English must complete both the English major and the Secondary Education Cognate major requirements. See the School of Education, Health, and Human Performance section of this catalog for a listing of the required secondary education cognate major courses. Students should apply for acceptance to this program no later than the second semester of their sophomore year. Requirements for this include admission to and successful completion of the approved teacher education program. Students must successfully complete all requirements for licensure in secondary education.
When declaring teacher licensure in English through the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Secondary Education Cognate” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the English major and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You should apply for admission (this is NOT declaring your major) to the Teacher Education Program the semester you are enrolled in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education. Requirements for admission:
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.750 and 60 earned credit hours.
- Passing scores on Praxis Core: Academic Skills for Educators designed by the South Carolina Department of Education OR qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Scores must be sent to the College of Charleston (Code R5113) and the SCDE (Code R8108).
- Completing the application process during EDFS 201.
- If a student has transfer credit for a course that is equivalent to EDFS 201, they must meet with the Teacher Education department chair and complete 1 hour of work.
- A grade of C or better in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3).
- Your admission process must be completed before taking EDFS 460.
- You must complete a major in the content area and the cognate major (see Secondary Education Cognate, B.S.) to be forwarded to the State Department of Education for certification.
- Minimum English GPA of 2.500.
- Minimum education GPA of 3.000.