French Teacher Education Program (Grades PK-12)
Students interested in teacher licensure in foreign language must complete both the French and Francophone Studies major and the Foreign Language Education major requirements. See the School of Education, Health, and Human Performance section of this catalog for a listing of the required foreign language education major courses.
After declaration of a major in French and Francophone Studies, students interested in teacher licensure in foreign language must meet with the director of the Office of Student Services and Credentialing, School of Education, Health, and Human Performance, 843-953-5613. Students must take EDFS 201 during their sophomore year and apply for acceptance into this program preferably by the second semester of their sophomore year. In addition to meeting with an assigned advisor in French and Francophone Studies, candidates in all languages must meet with Dr. Shawn Morrison, 404 J.C. Long Building, firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information as soon as possible. Requirements include:
- admission to and successful completion of the approved Teacher Education Program
- a passing score on PRAXIS II World Language Test in French
- a passing score on the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching Test
- a rating of Advanced Low in French on the official OPI test
- and the successful completion of the content major in French, with its specific course requirements and GPA requirements (see below).
In order to be admitted to the Clinical Internship (EDFS 460 ), candidates must have met the following requirements:
- Completion of all French and Francophone Studies course requirements for the French and Francophone Studies major in Education.
- 3.000 GPA in French and Francophone Studies courses
- 3.000 GPA in EDFS courses
- 2.750 overall GPA
When declaring teacher licensure in French and Francophone Studies through the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Foreign Education Language” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the French and Francophone Studies major and follow the on-screen instructions.