Mar 19, 2018
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Credit Hours: 45+
In addition to completing the requirements for this major, students must also complete the degree requirements specified in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.
Courses within this major may also satisfy general education requirements. Please consult the Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Requirements for more information.
Students interested in teacher licensure in secondary education must complete a content major, additional coursework required for licensure (if applicable), and the secondary education cognate major requirements. Content majors are available in:
- Biology, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.S.
- Chemistry, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.A.
- English, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.A.
- History, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.A.
- Mathematics, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.S.
- Physics, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.A.
- Political Science, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.A.
- Sociology, Teacher Education Program (Grades 9-12), B.S.
Students must successfully complete all requirements for certification in secondary education.
When declaring teacher licensure the Program of Study Management System (POSM), students must first select “Declare or Add a Major” and then “Secondary Education Cognate” from the major list. Once this selection is made, a second menu box will appear with a list of the associated majors. Select the major and follow the on-screen instructions.
*EDFS 201 is prerequisite to all other education courses with a grade of C or better.
**Students must enroll in the Secondary sections for each of the courses marked with an asterisk. This requires meeting with your education advisor and completing the registration form. Each course requires a school-based field experience. Students will need a 3-hour block of time per week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, to complete each school-based experience.
Select two MATH courses totaling at least 6 credit hours from the following:
Clinical Practice Internship Requirement
Students seeking recommendation for South Carolina licensure in Secondary Education must complete the program of study above and meet the admission, retention, and exit requirements of the program and the School of Education, Health, and Human Performance. Recommendation to the South Carolina Department of Education for licensure in South Carolina is contingent upon successful completion of Clinical Practice, and achievement of passing scores on the necessary Praxis II test(s) for recommendation. Students who do not take Clinical Practice may not earn a degree in Secondary Education and will not be recommended or licensure. See your faculty advisor for additional information.
- You should apply for admission (this is NOT declaring your major) to the Teacher Education Program the semester you are enrolled in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3) . Requirements for admission:
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.750 and 60 earned credit hours.
- Passing scores on Praxis Core: Academic Skills for Educators designated by the South Carolina Department of Education OR qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Scores must be sent to the College of Charleston (Code R5113) and the SCDE (Code R8108).
- Disposition forms from (a) a general education faculty member, (b) your EDFS 201 professor, and (c) someone who has observed you working with children.
- If a student has transfer credit for a course that is equivalent to EDFS 201 , they must meet with the Teacher Education department chair and complete 1 hour of work.
- A grade of C or better in EDFS 201 Foundations of Education (3) .
- Your admission process must be completed before taking EDFS 460 .
- You must complete a major in the content area and the cognate major for your information to be forwarded to the State Department of Education for licensure.
- Minimum education GPA of 3.000 is required.
Coursework Meeting Major Requirements Excluded from the Major GPA Calculation
The following courses are excluded: COMM 104 , EDFS 460 , MATH 103 , MATH 104 , MATH 105 , MATH 111 , MATH 120 , MATH 207 , MATH 220 , MATH 229 , MATH 250